Date:      Wed, 23 Oct 2002 21:34:16 +0200
From:      Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        Fred Clift <fclift@verio.net>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: debugging around machine-checks...

On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 01:22:41PM -0400, Andrew Gallatin wrote:

> Fred Clift writes:
>  >
>  > Ok -- I'm not terribly alpha proficitent - in fact, the one alpha that I
>  > run is just a home-server - little more than a toy (mp3 server, print
>  > server and relatively secure ssh enpoint from the outside world).
>  >
>  > Could someone explain exactly what is going on when a machine-check
>  > happens?  Is this done by the machine firmware or something?  It seems
>
> Yes.
>
> A machine check is the highest priority interrupt.  It occurs when
> something seriously bad happens.  Like an uncorrectable memory parity
> error, or a rogue application or kernel fondling device memory that

Make that: uncorrectable ECC memory error.

As a side note: they can also occur due to a bad CPU (I once had that),
insufficient CPU cooling, flakey power supply. An environmental check
is therefore recommended if you see them on a given FreeBSD code version
where other people / different hardware does not see them.

Wilko