Date:      Sun, 13 Sep 1998 20:26:43 +0200
From:      Stefan Eggers <seggers@semyam.dinoco.de>
To:        Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
Cc:        Gary Palmer <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>, Daniel Hawton <irc@cooltime.simplenet.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, seggers@semyam.dinoco.de
Subject:   Re: Download of FreeBSD 3.0-SNAP

> > Over fast local links, the speed of your disk often affects the speed
> > of the install more than network issues.
>
>   If 200 KB/s is too much for your disks, it is time to join the late
> '80s and get new disks.

Without softupdates creating and removing a lot of files (and the
former is what happens during an install) on filesystems mounted with
standard options takes a lot of time as the meta-data operations are
done synchronous.  That's the limiting factor I noticed for example
when I checkout out the ports collections/the OS source or removed a
huge directory tree.

To avoid this one can choose between mounting a filesystem asynchrous
(even meta-data gets buffered and written later with the - hopefully
well known - risks) and softupdates (as far as I know still alpha). Or
one finds a harddisk which is very fast at seeking.  A solid state
disk will do but I'd prefer buying a car instead and wait a few
minutes for the installation to finish.  ;-)

Stefan.
--
Stefan Eggers                 Lu4 yao2 zhi1 ma3 li4,
Max-Slevogt-Str. 1            ri4 jiu3 jian4 ren2 xin1.