Date:      Sun, 8 Nov 1998 09:22:50 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The infamous dying daemons bug

On Sun, 8 Nov 1998, Eivind Eklund wrote:

> * Problem first spotted in January
>
> * Problem occur on my PPro box with the combinations
> 	- 64MB RAM/128MB swap
> 	- 64MB RAM/256 MB swap (much less frequently than with 128MB swap)
> 	- 80MB RAM/256 MB swap (seems more frequent than with
> 	  64MB/256MB, but I have not recorded how it behaves, so I
> 	  can't really say)
> 	I've got a PPro 200 (Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x617  Stepping=7)
> * Problem occur on a P200MMX (Origin = "GenuineIntel"  Id = 0x543  Stepping=3)
> 	with 96MB RAM and 200MB swap
> * Problem has never occured on a P133 (unknown stepping) with 24MB RAM
> 	and 64MB swap.
> * Problem occur with both IDE and a bunch of different SCSI cards
> 	(thus it seems we can eliminate the disk system)

* AMD K6/200 (Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x562  Stepping=2)

Generally, the problem appears as though it can be triggerd by,
or is associated with running low on or running out of swap.

One question: Is the problem "sticky"?  By that I mean, if it is
triggered by a memomry shortage, is something in the kernel
corrupted that tends to kill/corrupt daemons from that point in
time on, or is it just something that affects isolated processes.
The symptom (junk pointer to low in ined's case) is obviously
triggered by some action of the process, but is the problem
itself triggered by an action of that same process?

Based on behavior of my system, my hunch is the first scenario
but I am definately not certain.  I'll try and cook up some way
to test it but if anyone else has any ideas about it, that would
be great.

-john