Date:      Fri, 4 Jan 2013 12:46:55 +0100
From:      Odd-Jarle Kristoffersen <gamuso@gmail.com>
To:        FreeBSD PowerPC ML <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: iBook G3/800 Airport wireless support?

Thanks Justin

That explains quite a bit. I guess I am better of using my time on =
something else :) Not sure what I was going to use this machine for =
anyways. It's getting old so I might just as well find some newer and =
better hardware to play with.

Thanks again for helping! And good luck with the move.

3. jan. 2013 kl. 19:03 skrev Justin Hibbits <jrh29@alumni.cwru.edu>:

> (writing from my phone, as I'm in the process of moving)
>=20
> The original Airport card in your iBook uses the if_wi driver. However =
there are a couple problems right now. The most obvious is that there is =
currently no attachment for the driver for the Macio bus. You can search =
this list archives for a patch I made in 2011, but the other problem =
that you will run into is the if_wi driver is just broken. There are =
discussions about this on FreeBSD-wireless that you can search for.
>=20
> -Justin
>=20
> On Jan 3, 2013 4:36 AM, "Odd-Jarle Kristoffersen" <gamuso@gmail.com> =
wrote:

> > I received a tip to post my question to this mailing list, so here =
we go.

> > I have an iBook G3/800 dual-USB which I have installed FreeBSD =
9.0-RELEASE onto. However I am unable to find the wireless network card. =
This is a basic Airport card connected to the original pccard / PCMCIA =
slot, not the Extreme edition. The card works well with Mac OS X 10.4.

> > I've tried the bwi driver but no card shows up.
> >
> > Added the following to /boot/loader.conf
> >
> > if_bwi_load=3D"YES"
> > wlan_load=3D"YES"
> > wlan_wep_load=3D"YES"
> > wlan_ccmp_load=3D"YES"
> > wlan_tkip_load=3D"YES"
> > wlan_amrr_load=3D"YES"
> >
> > Then I also tried the instructions in the handbook
> >
> > =
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-wireless=
.html

> > but no wireless adapter shows up in dmesg
> >
> > Googling a bit I find some references to if_wi and a "man if_wi" =
seems promising since I don't have the Express card, but just the PCMCIA =
AirPort card which I understand is a rebranded Lucent card or something.

> > However I have no if_wi.ko module. Does the powerpc branch support =
PCMCIA/PCCARD at all? Is the if_wi replaced by if_bwi with no support =
for the "simple" Airport card?

> > pciconf -lv does not show any network devices except for the =
built-in ethernet port (UniNorth/Pangea GMAC (Sun GEM).