Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 2002 14:35:36 -0700
From:      Johnson David <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        Ryan M <freedom@72oot.net>, newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Gnome2

On Monday 24 June 2002 06:47 am, Ryan M wrote:
> How come gnome.org seem to be obtuse and outdated?

As a KDE fan, my opinions are strong on this subject, but I will refrain from
commenting...

> When i installed gnome2 on 4.6 release about half way through I got a
> dialogue stating GDM is insecure, but you have to install it to
> continue?  There should be a way around this, but i could not find it,
> oohh well. i dont use it anyway...

Does it say *why* it's insecure? If it's because it's a suid executable, then
there's not much you can do about it except not run it. Several X programs
fall into this category. I believe XDM and KDM are suid as well.

> I see in their Release roadmap that every new version breaks
> compatibility with the previous.

This is due to their decentralized release process and lack of project
cohesion. Every GNOME subproject has its own release schedule, dependencies
and version. It can be very hard for a GNOME newbie to figure out. As one
example, it's why some GNOME stuff requires imlib and others require
gdkpixbuf. You've heard the saying "like trying to herd cats". Well, GNOME
developers are like a bunch of cats with the release manager playing the
pitiful role of cat herder.

David