Date:      Mon, 17 Apr 2000 13:21:05 -0500 (CDT)
From:      David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
To:        J McKitrick <jcm@freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        David Schwartz <davids@webmaster.com>, "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: M$ anti-trust case

On Mon, 17 Apr 2000, J McKitrick wrote:

> Unfortunately, though the judge ruled M$ broke the law, many are arguing
> that M$ really hasn't hurt anyone but developers, and has helped consumers.
> Unfortunately, it appears that is the case.

I don't see how MS could possibly have helped consumers.  One of things that
it does is poorly document the Windows API, and make changes to it,
willy-nilly.  This makes it much harder for other companies to produce
software, particularly where they are competing with an established MS
prodcuct, like say MS Office.  Preventing competition in the consumer
application market is not a help to the consumer.  The people that say Billy
gates brought the computer to the masses, by giving everyone a machine that
they could have at home miss that that would have happened, even in his
absence.  It likely would have involved more than one OS, which would
likely be better than windows.  IN a competive enviornment, no one would
stand for the sort of shit that windows puts out.  Printer drivers that
stop working for no reason, random crashes, software the installs system
files, on top of software that installed other vgersions of the same file?
Ick.  Windows 2000 is pretty close to having stuff that TOPS-10 had in 1975.

David