Date:      Fri, 06 Dec 1996 21:25:36 -0800
From:      Chris Browning <cbrown@aracnet.com>
To:        Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
Cc:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dual-cpu PPRO motherboards...

Steve,
  Here is some of the info about my machine.  Sorry it took so long to
get back to you.

Chris

> This terminology can get very confusing at times, can't it!
>
> >Actually, I am talking about the APIC bus spec.  It supports 255
> >interrupt
> >sources.  The P6 (I'm not sure about the P5) atleast supports this.
> >When you say IP APIC, which one are you talking about?
>               ^^
> I assume you meant IO here?  The only one I have encountered is the
> 82093AA IO APIC.  There is (was) also the 82489DX APIC which could be used
> as both a "local" APIC with 80486 CPUs and as an IO APIC.  But Intel doesn't
> make these anymore, at least not for new systems (there  may be replacement
> parts available).
>
> > I know of atleast
> >3 that are commonly found on systems, probably more.  Each of them
> >has a different number of interrupts and capabilies.  Not to mention
> >systems with more than one IO APIC.
>
> what other parts do you know of (numbers please!)

Here is the information off the top of the chips.  The first and the
last one are
responsible for routing interrupts in the system.

(M)AMI 9511ATY
6721-502
Intel (C) 94
620368-001

Intel(R)
PCIset
S82375SB
S Z955
16A8EF1070
JAPAN9527EAI
(C)'92008

Intel(R)
PCIset
S82374SB
S Z892
16T6F1004
JAPAN9520EAI
(C)'92037

> > What do you need to know?  The machine I am tying this message on right
> >now has
> >2 IO APICs in it.  Neither are PIIX/PIIX3.
>
> The output of 'mptable', with both IO APICs enabled in the BIOS.  This
> will show me how the variuos INTerrupt sources are associated with
> IO  APIC pins, among other useful data.
> You can find this program on the SMP web page at the top of the
> "Various tests that you can help us run:" section:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/~fsmp/SMP/SMP.html
>
> This program can be run without the SMP kernel being active, but the 2nd
> IO APIC MUST be enabled in the BIOS for its assignments to show up.
> Additionally, if this is an EISA machine it may or may not work, depending
> on where they stuck the MP table.

Well, I couldn't get this to compile on Linux, which is what is loaded
on the machine
at this time.  It doesn't have the debug kernal either.  Sorry.

> Also, give me your 'dmesg' output, as well as the part #s of your IO APICs
> and chipset if known.

Here is the dmesg output....

(s): fd0 is 1.44M
Started kswapd v 1.4.2.2
FDC 0 is an 82078.
aic7xxx: BurstLen = 8 DWDs, Latency Timer = 96 PCLKS
aic7xxx: devconfig = 0x580.
aic7xxx: Reading SEEPROM...
aic7xxx: Unable to read SEEPROM; using leftover BIOS values.
aic7xxx: Extended translation disabled.
aic7xxx: Using 16 SCB's after checking for SCB memory.
aic7xxx: Enabling wide channel of AIC-7870-Wide.
AIC-7870-WIDE (PCI-bus):
    irq 10
    bus release time 40 bclks
    data fifo threshold 100%
    SCSI CHANNEL A:
        scsi id 7
        scsi selection timeout 256 ms
        scsi bus reset at power-on enabled
        scsi bus parity enabled
aic7xxx: Downloading sequencer code...done.
aic7xxx: Resetting the SCSI bus...done.
aic7xxx: BurstLen = 8 DWDs, Latency Timer = 96 PCLKS
aic7xxx: devconfig = 0x580.
aic7xxx: Reading SEEPROM...
aic7xxx: Unable to read SEEPROM; using leftover BIOS values.
aic7xxx: Extended translation disabled.
aic7xxx: Using 16 SCB's after checking for SCB memory.
aic7xxx: Enabling wide channel of AIC-7870-Wide.
AIC-7870-WIDE (PCI-bus):
    irq 5
    bus release time 40 bclks
    data fifo threshold 100%
    SCSI CHANNEL A:
        scsi id 7
        scsi selection timeout 256 ms
        scsi bus reset at power-on enabled
        scsi bus parity enabled
aic7xxx: Downloading sequencer code...done.
aic7xxx: Resetting the SCSI bus...done.
scsi0 : Adaptec AHA274x/284x/294x (EISA/VLB/PCI-Fast SCSI) 3.2/3.1/3.0
scsi1 : Adaptec AHA274x/284x/294x (EISA/VLB/PCI-Fast SCSI) 3.2/3.1/3.0
scsi : 2 hosts.
aic7xxx: Scanning channel A for devices.
aic7xxx: Target 0, channel A, now synchronous at 10.0MHz, offset(0xf).
  Vendor: SEAGATE   Model: ST31230N          Rev: 0510
Detected scsi disk sda at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
aic7xxx: Scanning channel A for devices.
scsi : detected 1 SCSI disk total.
SCSI device sda: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 2069860 [1010 MB] [1.0
GB]
Partition check:
 sda: sda1 sda2
 hda: hda1 hda2 < hda5 hda6 >
lp: Driver configured but no interfaces found.
CSLIP: code copyright 1989 Regents of the University of California
SLIP: version 0.8.4-NET3.019-NEWTTY-MODULAR (dynamic channels, max=256).
SLIP linefill/keepalive option.
PPP: version 2.2.0 (dynamic channel allocation)
PPP Dynamic channel allocation code copyright 1995 Caldera, Inc.
PPP line discipline registered.
hdb : tray open or drive not ready
hdb : tray open or drive not ready
hdb : tray open or drive not ready
VFS: Disk change detected on device 03:40
hdb : tray open or drive not ready
hdb : tray open
end_request: I/O error, dev 03:40, sector 65
isofs_read_super: bread failed, dev 03:40 iso_blknum 16 block 32
hdb : tray open or drive not ready
hdb : tray open or drive not ready
hdb : tray open or drive not ready
VFS: Disk change detected on device 03:40
hdb : tray open or drive not ready
hdb : tray open
end_request: I/O error, dev 03:40, sector 65
isofs_read_super: bread failed, dev 03:40 iso_blknum 16 block 32
Unable to identify CD-ROM format.
eepro100.c:v0.12b 6/18/96 Donald Becker becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
Found Intel i82557 PCI Speedo at I/O 0xf4e0, IRQ 9.
  PCI latency timer (CFLT) is 0x60.
eepro100.c:v0.12b 6/18/96 Donald Becker becker@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov
eth0: Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100 at 0xf4e0, 00:20:35:22:BB:C6, IRQ 9.
  Board assembly 645345-001, Physical connectors present: RJ45
  Primary interface chip DP83840 PHY #1.
  DP83840 specific setup...
  General self-test: passed.
  Serial sub-system self-test: passed.
  Internal registers self-test: passed.
  ROM checksum self-test: passed (0x49caa8d6).
eth0: speedo_open() irq 9.
eth0: Done speedo_open(), status 00000090.
eth0: Media selection tick, status 0050.
iBCS: socksys registered on character major 30

And here is a selected list of proc outputs

Text item: pci.txt 11/22/96 2:18P

PCI devices found:
  Bus  0, device  26, function  0:
    Host bridge: Intel Orion P6 (rev 2).
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  Master Capable.
Latency=72.
  Bus  0, device  25, function  0:
    Host bridge: Intel Orion P6 (rev 2).
      Medium devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  Master Capable.
Latency=72.
  Bus  0, device  15, function  0:
    Unknown class: Intel Unknown device (rev 0).
      Vendor id=8086. Device id=8.
      Fast devsel.  Fast back-to-back capable.  IRQ 255.
      Prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xfec01000.
  Bus  0, device  14, function  0:
    Non-VGA device: Intel 82375EB (rev 5).
      Medium devsel.  Master Capable.  Latency=72.
  Bus  0, device  12, function  0:
    VGA compatible controller: Weitek P9100 (rev 0).
      Medium devsel.  IRQ 11.
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xfd000000.

Text item: ioports.txt 11/22/96 2:18P

0000-001f : dma1
0020-003f : pic1
0040-005f : timer
0060-006f : keyboard
0070-007f : rtc
0080-009f : dma page reg
00a0-00bf : pic2
00c0-00df : dma2
00f0-00ff : npu
01f0-01f7 : ide0
03c0-03df : vga+
03f0-03f5 : floppy
03f6-03f6 : ide0
03f7-03f7 : floppy DIR
03f8-03ff : serial(auto)
f4e0-f4ff : Intel Speedo3 Ethernet
10400-104be : aic7xxx
10800-108be : aic7xxx

Text item: ints.txt 11/22/96 2:18P

 0:   130555   timer
 1:      705   keyboard
 2:        0   cascade
 5:       30 + aic7xxx
 8:        0 + rtc
 9:     6929   Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100 Ethernet
10:       36 + aic7xxx
13:    23047 + IPI
14:    13125 + ide0

Text item: cpu.txt 11/22/96 2:18P

processor       : 0
cpu             : 686
model           : Pentium Pro
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
stepping        : 6
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid           : yes
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic 11 mtrr pge
mca cmov
bogomips        : 199.47

processor       : 2
cpu             : 686
model           : Pentium Pro
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
stepping        : 6
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid           : yes
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic 11 mtrr pge
mca cmov
bogomips        : 199.88