Date:      Mon, 23 Nov 2009 18:57:51 PST
From:      Dieter <freebsd@sopwith.solgatos.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   PCIe-x1 SATA controllers (was: Re: Adaptec 1405 on FreeBSD )

In message <4B027C3E.7020700@FreeBSD.org>, Alexander Motin writes:
> >> I was surprised, but yes.
> >
> > My google-fu fails me.  Any make/model, URLs, or keywords?
>
> Syba PCI Express SATA II 4 x Ports RAID Controller Card SY-PEX40008

Does anyone other than Syba make these?  I'm a bit leery of Syba
after my experience with some of their other fine products.

Reviews on newegg say it "Gets a bit hot" and "gets quite hot under load",
despite that big heatsink.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16816124027
----------
> The interesting fact I have seen yesterday, SiI3132 is able to read
> 150MB/s, but write 170MB/s. I am not PCIe expert, but looks like
> transfer capabilities could be asymmetric. Also, and as soon as PCIe is
> duplex, I've also seen 110MB/s read from one drive, plus 100MB/s write
> to another, running at the same time.

Seems odd.
----------
>From what I can see, FreeBSD does not support the Marvell 88SE61xx
SATA controllers?

For example, the SATA2-PCIE1x12 has 4 SATA ports + 1 PATA channel,
for US$30.13
http://www.span.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_714_2502&products_id=16957
There is a similar SATA2-PCIE1X11 board with all ports internal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Marvell_Technology_Group_chipsets
points to a patch for OpenBSD:
http://www.webservertalk.com/message2133676.html
and apparently penguinix supports them.
Then we have this oddball, 2 SATA-300 ports + 2 SATA-150 ports:
SYBA SY-PEX40013
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124029