Date:      Fri, 14 Jul 2000 18:07:31 -0700
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I'm fixing the build/install kernel target

Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> * Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net> [000714 16:51] wrote:
> > The default will no longer be GENERIC.  Having that default makes it
> > way too easy to shoot yourself in the foot, it will be manditory to
> > specify a KERNEL=.
> >
> > The install target will be corrected to behave the same way that
> > the old install target from the kernel build directory does.  That
> > means it will do the kernel->kernel.old and install over /kernel.
> > The current way makes it overly complex and error prone.
>
> Actually, I retract this, I'm leaving it broken and raising an
> exception about how it's killing our newbies and suprising a lot
> of our users.

The original design of the installtarget did exactly that. It has been
modified later. The rationale being that it would be good to be able to
install multiple kernels. This of course implies that you need different
names. So, the real question is: "Do we want to be able to install
multiple kernels (with their modules)"?

If the answer is no, then we name the kernel "kernel". Otherwise we need
to have a naming convention, keeping in mind that the boot loader now
defaults to "kernel"...

> Making configuring a kernel more complex and error prone should
> have never happened.

It's not more complex and it's also not more error prone. It's
differently complex and differently error prone :-)

--
Marcel Moolenaar
  mail: marcel@cup.hp.com / marcel@FreeBSD.org