Date:      Sat, 31 May 2014 17:18:56 -0400
From:      Dutch Ingraham <stoa@gmx.us>
To:        David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Interrupt Overload

On 05/31/2014 04:01 PM, David Wolfskill wrote:
> Do you have either hald or dbus running?
>
> IIRC, the default X.org config requires at least one of them.
>
> I had bad experiences with hald (in particular) some years ago, and
> changed my xorg.conf to avoid using them.
>
> You *might* want to try augmenting xorg.conf with:
>
> Section "ServerFlags"
>     Option         "AutoAddDevices" "False"
> EndSection
>

> and disable hald & dbus, then see what happens when you restart X. :-}
>
> Good luck!
>
> Peace,
> david

Thanks, David.  I agree; I've generally had more problems with X, hal,
pam, consolekit and polkit than everything else combined.  I did try
your suggestions, in full and individually.

Adding that ServerFlags section to xorg.conf made no apparent
difference; without both hald and dbus running I can start X but no
mouse and effectively no keyboard (I can ctrl-alt-del to reboot, but
everything else is dead.)

Thanks for your suggestions.  Hopefully someone, somewhere has had a
similar problem.