Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 1995 10:29:10 -0600
From:      kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly)
To:        pechter@shell.monmouth.com
Cc:        peter@taronga.com, freebsd-chat@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports startup scripts

    Bill> The 1 level on the machines I've seen runs the things like
    Bill> sync, cron, and a getty on the console... It's real nice for
    Bill> testing things like startup without letting users on via the
    Bill> net or over serial port gettys.

And then there's /etc/nologin---but I'm not sure if that's a better
solution.

    Bill> I've done this with drops to run state 1 at times under
    Bill> Linux at home to automate a lot of backups.  (It's real hard
    Bill> to do Single user cron'd backups 8-)...)

Okay, I'm getting more and more convinced.  But then again, I've been
doing automated multiuser backups at 3.00am (with some die-hard users
still on) and haven't lost any files.

--
Sean Kelly
NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory, Boulder Colorado USA

TASK: Shoot yourself in the foot.  In Ada: After correctly packing
your foot, you attempt to concurrently load the gun, pull the trigger,
scream, and shoot yourself in the foot. When you try, however, you
discover you can't because your foot is of the wrong type.