Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2000 12:49:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi@kot.ne.mediaone.net>
Cc:        Stan Brown <stanb@netcom.com>, stable@freebsd.org, brian@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: IP Tunneling, is it possible?

On Thu, 13 Jan 2000, Mikhail Teterin wrote:

> I love my  PPP over SSH connection. Basicly, ppp  on one machine invokes
> ssh to login to the other side and start ``ppp -direct'' there. Once the
> connection is up, both ends can  route packets to/from the newly created
> tun-interfaces enabling other machines on the LANs to see it all.

ppp+ssh has some flaws to it. Performance can be choppy and the reason
(If I'm pulling out of my memory banks what Brian told me at FreeBSDcon
properly) is that there are so many layer, each with its own error
correction, compression, etc that wierd bursts and such can happen.

> This works perfect to get a normal connection through a one-way firewall
> too, BTW.

Which is the only reason I use it.

An example of the wierdness. if I do a 'ls -l' in a large directory
a certain amount of files will be displayed and then display will stop
if I lay on the space bar, they'll start moving again. This is not a
$PAGER issue (before anyone sends me the man page from more(1)), I
believe it is a queueing bogon when you use so many layers.

HTH,

--
- bill fumerola - billf@chc-chimes.com - BF1560 - computer horizons corp -
- ph:(800) 252-2421 - bfumerol@computerhorizons.com - billf@FreeBSD.org  -