Date:      Thu, 13 May 1999 00:17:40 -0400
From:      Peter Schwenk <schwenk@voicenet.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   GENERIC 3.2-BETA kernel and printing

Hello:

I just wanted to let the developers know that I have trouble printing
with the 3.2-BETA kernel using the GENERIC configuration file.  I print
Postscript to my HP LJ4L using Ghostscript.  Without the "fix" described
below, the printing turns to crap about 3cm down the page.  Printing
just plain text also runs into trouble, but less dramatically.  I've
been having this trouble since 3.1-R (I never tried 3.0).  The problem
goes away by changing the

device          ppc0    at isa? port? flags 0x40 net irq 7

line  to

device          ppc0    at isa? port? flags 0x40 tty irq 7

I don't know what the "tty" or "net" parts do.  This change was
discussed in -questions a bit after 3.1-RELEASE was released.  I just
wanted to let you folks know just in case you want to include the change
in the 3.2-RELEASE.

- Peter Schwenk
- schwenk@voicenet.com