Date:      Tue, 5 Feb 2002 21:40:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Bill Fumerola <billf@mu.org>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/34639: IPFW skipto works too slow

The following reply was made to PR kern/34639; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Bill Fumerola <billf@mu.org>
To: wawa@yandex-team.ru
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2002 21:31:03 -0800

 On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 05:53:19PM +0300, wawa@yandex-team.ru wrote:

 > The original implementation of skipto rule use brute-force to find the appropriate rule.
 > The suggested implementation use indexed access.

 the ipfw code caches the skipto rule the first time it gets used. i don't
 think cacheing it in a different spot really helps anything.

 are you actually seeing performance problems? can you actually prove
 that ipfw is faster with this change?

 --
 - bill fumerola / fumerola@yahoo-inc.com / billf@FreeBSD.org / billf@mu.org
 - my anger management counselor can beat up your self-affirmation therapist