Date:      Wed, 03 Jan 2001 10:06:13 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>, Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Removing GNU from kernel

Greg Lehey wrote:
> On Wednesday,  3 January 2001 at  1:57:45 -0800, Peter Wemm wrote:
> > Greg Lehey wrote:

> >> That's what we do.
> >
> > No we dont. top (among other things) use some static symbols which strip(8)
> > removes.
>
> You're missing the point.  That's why we don't remove them.  Or are
> you saying that top doesn't work?

Reread the quoted messages above.  It was asked "is it possible to leave
just the necessary symbols".  You said "we do", but we dont.  It is fairly
easy to do this though.  We just need to remove a couple of 'static'
declarations and then top etc will work with a stripped kernel.

Strip only removes one of the two symbol tables.

Cheers,
-Peter