Date:      Mon, 21 Jul 1997 00:23:35 -0700
From:      Marty Gordon <mlghome@home.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   re: make world fails at bin/ls/stat_flags.c after 2.2.2 + cvsup's

My thanks to all who put me on the right track. I got several
suggestions that 'make world' sometimes doesn't. I needed to do an 'make
includes' first, then the 'make world' ran fine (after 40+hrs on my poor
'lil 486 box). Thanks again.

I also had the problem with the default router 'breaking' after one
particular cvsup this past week. I was suddendly getting the messages
about writing to a socket/file that already exists. I jimmied the code
in 'rc.networks' to avoid that (or so I thought) and later cvsups during
this weekend seemed to fix the problem (Julian's route chgs?). Fortunate
I have other machines at home that I can talk to the world on. It's
tough when your little beast suddenly doesn't want to talk to the world.

I've been so please with cvsup and all that I tried doing one for
'ports-all'. Basically I added that collection to the stable-supfile in
my previous message. What it seemed to do when it got to the ports, was
delete loads of files. After it was done I tried making some of the
ports and found the many seemed to missing the 'Makefile'. Hmmmm. My
mistake again? Did I miss something stupid/obvious? My 'workaround' was
to just tar.gz the ports dir down to my machine and untar it over
/usr/ports. Most things work now.

On another front, I'm almost ready to get a new MB/CPU and was really
thinging about the AMD K6 200 or 233. I'm interested in Tom's HD Page
review of the FIC PA-2007, but of course no store in San Diego has ever
heard of First International or sells FIC. My next best choice *WAS* the
ABIT IT5H, but following the NG's and this list, it would seem that I'd
be better off waiting for 1.6/1.7/2.0 or whatever has the switching VR,
and fixed other problems. Then there's ASUS and TYAN and ...

I'd like to configure the bestest, fastest, stablest, coolest,
parity/ECC motherboard/CPU combo that is best for various 32-bit OSes
like NT and FreeBSD for under $800 or so. As I understand it, Pentiums
and K5's are 'optimized' for 16 bit OS and PPro/K6 a run 32 bit better.
True? I know there are price reductions in the works from Intel, but
they are still pretty pricey and I sure thought the K6 was a more
affordable alternative. I guess you get what you pay for (or not). Any
comments? At this point I'd decided it would be best to hold off for
another month or two and watch the prices and check the ng's for
progress.

God I love FreeBSD and FreeBSDers. Nothing like it in the galaxy!

Marty