Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 2000 10:40:04 -0700
From:      "Long, Scott" <scott_long@btc.adaptec.com>
To:        "'justin'" <oneiros@miseria.org>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: AAA-131 + RAID?

The AAA-131 is merely a SCSI controller chip and a DMA controller/parity
engine.  It expects all RAID operations to be performed in a driver (or the
on-board BIOS if running in DOS mode).  That said, the array that you
created from the BIOS utility has no meaning to FreeBSD, and only appears as
the component disks.  You can use vinum to perform software RAID on the
disks (and not be limited to only the disks attached to the card), but you
will not get any benefit from the DMA controller for RAID 1 and 5.  There
has been some thought given to writing a driver for the AAA/ARO cards using
RAIDFrame, but I would not expect anything in the near future.

Scott