Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 1996 16:51:46 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        julian@whistle.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, jehamby@lightside.com, jsigmon@www.hsc.wvu.edu, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 2.2.x release question

> > and people running
> > with it as their /dev still show an unfortunate tendency to crash
> > a lot,
>
> that's actually not true at all.

I second this.

> > so no.
> personally I don't think persistance is of any importance
> but I hear the crowd yelling for their placebo's so I will do it some
> time.. but it tripples the complexity of the filesystem.

I agree with Julian.  Persistance is an unnecessary complication.  There
is no good reason for requiring persistance above abnd beyond the ability
to symlink into the thing from elsewhere ()and if the target is gone, it's
gone).  For permissions and so on, persistance needs to be implemented
in the defaults in the device templates.  One might arge that there needs
to be a user configuration management tools for dealing with all the
default permissions assignments, but that's not something required for
relese: it's feature creep, and questionable feature creep at that.

> > NFS weirdness seems to be the #1 monster under the bed with 2.2 -
> > might some of you folks out there with multiple machines be willing to
> > assist John and Doug with some stress-testing?  If you can find and
> > reproduce bugs yourselves, that's even better (e.g. they need someone
> > to help play QA team on NFS).
> >
> we're using 2.2 heavily..
> we have 3 outstanding problems
> one of which might be solved but I haven't checked..

I can't do anything about the NFS wierdness without "downgrading" my
machines to "-current", something I'm not willing to do.  If the FS
code could be "upgraded" to "-terry", then I would be able to address
most of these problem in short order.  I simply can not live without
NFS locking and remote build support for the PPC and HP300, and
-current just doesn't cut it there.  Oh well.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.