Date:      Thu, 20 Jul 1995 18:45:19 +0000
From:      Matt Thomas <matt@lkg.dec.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        hd@omnilink.net (Hannes Deeken)
Subject:   MultiPort PCI Enet Cards

Just thought I'd send a bit of status about my experiences with MultiPort
PCI Enet Cards since I know there are folks who want them.

Since I finally got a system that understands PCI-PCI Bridges (PPB) and
configures them properly, I've been experimenting with the DE436 4 port
UTP DC21040 that DEC decided not to sell.  The DE436 allows the interrupt
lines to strap everything to either INT A, INT B, or spread the DC21040s
from INT A to INT B.  I've been using the later setting just fine.  The
DE436 operates just fine as would operate fine in router (if you could
buy it that is).

SMC sent me a EtherPower^2 which is dual DC21040s behind a PPB.  (think of
it as half of a DE436 but it comes in UTP only [SMC8434T] and UTP/BNC
[SMC8434BT] flavors.)  It's been running fine since I fixed a problem with
the configuration of multiple PPBs in a system.  I can't think of any
reason not to use it (though the fasct it only has two ports instead of
one might be a problem).

CogentData has been less than helpful about trying to figure out what do
to get the Cogent EMaster 800+ to configure.   Sigh.

I'm still waiting for input from Zynx... (need to poke them again).

Also, the DC21041 is now supported by the de driver (DEC DE450 and SMC8432E
are two of the cards that use it.)

[DEC and SMC have been great in their support of my work.]

Cheers,

Matt Thomas               Internet:   matt@lkg.dec.com
3am Software Foundry      WWW URL:    <currently homeless>
Westford, MA              Disclaimer: Digital disavows all knowledge
                                      of this message