Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2024 18:14:48 +0000
From:      David Chisnall <theraven@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Mario Marietto <marietto2008@gmail.com>
Cc:        John F Carr <jfc@mit.edu>, freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>, freebsd-hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Mailing List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-xen@freebsd.org" <freebsd-xen@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>, =?utf-8?Q?Roger_Pau_Monn=C3=A9?= <royger@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How to upgrade an EOL FreeBSD release or how to make it working again

On 15 Jan 2024, at 16:46, Mario Marietto <marietto2008@gmail.com> wrote:
>=20
> The ARM Chromebook is based on armv7,it is still recent.

For reference, the ARMv7 architecture was introduced in 2005.  The last =
cores that implemented the architecture were released in 2014.  This is =
not a =E2=80=98recent=E2=80=99 architecture, it=E2=80=99s one that=E2=80=99=
s 19 years old and has been largely dead for several years.

> But let's change perspective for a moment,don't think about the ARM =
Chromebook. My question is : how to upgrade FreeBSD when it goes EOL.

Generally, run `freebsd-update`.  This is a very different question from =
=E2=80=98how do I do a new install of an old an unsupported version?'

> I ask this because there is a huge difference here between FreeBSD and =
Linux. Today if you need to use , for example Ubuntu 14.0, you can use =
it as is. Yes,there will be a lot of bugs,but it will work without =
crashes.  But if you want to use an old FreeBSD system,nothing will work =
for you. So,do you know some methods to install even packages or ports ? =
You know,there are cases when you need to do some experiments so that =
you can keep your machine off the internet,so you aren't scared that =
someone can compromise it. Totally prohibiting the users to use an old =
system,removing ports and packages is not a choice that I approve of. =
And I'm not the only one that thinks like this.

If you want to use an old and unsupported version of FreeBSD, no one is =
stopping you, but:

 - You will need to build the releases.  The source code is still in =
git, you can.  The scripts for building the release images are right =
there in the repo.  Just grab the relevant release or releng branch and =
go.

 - You will need to build packages.  Newer versions of the ports tree =
will not be tested with the older release, so you may need to use an =
older checkout of the ports tree.  Poudriere will build a package repo =
for you. =20

In both cases, if you=E2=80=99re using older versions you almost =
certainly *will* have security vulnerabilities.  The project strongly =
advises you not to do this and not to blame us when you install =
known-insecure software and end up compromised.

The project does not have enough active contributors to keep maintaining =
things indefinitely.  This is why release have a five-year supported =
lifetime.  If you want to pick up an old branch and maintain it, =
you=E2=80=99re welcome to.  In the past, companies have picked up old =
branches and maintained them for customers that had a dependency on =
them.  If you want to pay someone to maintain an old branch (and have =
deep pockets) then there are probably a few companies that will happily =
take your money.

Maintaining binaries is a slightly different issue, but it=E2=80=99s not =
totally unrelated.  Keeping old packages around consumes disk space and =
costs the project money (remember, every package is mirrored across the =
CDN, so this isn=E2=80=99t just a single disk).  Even if it were free, =
philosophically, I think making it easy for users to install =
known-insecure software is a bad idea but if you want to keep a package =
repo with out-of-date packages online indefinitely then you can.  You =
can run Poudriere and even cross-compile from a fairly beefy cloud =
machine quite easily.

It=E2=80=99s been a while since I did a full package build, but I would =
guess that you could do a single package build (all ports) for about $50 =
on a cloud VM, more (2-3x) if it=E2=80=99s emulated.  Storing the =
results for a small number of users will cost around $10-20/month.  If =
you think this is an important thing to do, then you are absolutely =
welcome to spend your own money on doing it.

David