Date:      Wed, 12 May 1999 22:18:21 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Frank McConnell <fmc@reanimators.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is aha broken?

In message <199905121429.HAA01982@daemonweed.reanimators.org> Frank
McConnell writes:
: SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched!
: (probe15:aha0:0:0:0) CCB 0xc7f51508 - timed out
: (probe15:aha0:0:0:0) CCB 0xc7f51508 - timed out

I've never used aha on the SMP machine.  Usually this error is an
indication that one of two things.  First one is a termination error.
The second is a IRQ/DRQ mismatch.  Usually a termination.

: Figuring that the "create_intr" message above might have something to
: do with my explicitly configuring irq 11 in the config file (as that's
: how the card is set), I changed the irq in the config file to ? and
: rebuilt.  No difference.  Haven't tried changing the card's irq to
: something other than 11 yet, but I think irq 11 is available for this
: use.  Suggestions of other things to look at and do would be welcome
: but I won't get to them 'til tonight.

The aha driver will read the settings from the card, so I doubt this
is the problem.  I use the 1542CP and a 1542CF.  The CP is always in
my gateway machine and works fairly well.

The driver doesn't use the hardware status bits that can tell if the
cable configuration is illegal, nor does it tell you if the
termination is bad.  Plug and play is poorly supported.  It seems that
works sometimes.  However, I've had reports of problems which I've
been unable to recreate here.

I have firmware F.0.

Warner