Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 1995 16:16:29 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Using space in a DOS filesystem

Terry Lambert stands accused of saying:
> > This is basically a ready-to-go partition, it just needs water, so to speak.
>
> I'm interested in seeing this code; where do I go to get it?

ftp://genesis.atrad.adelaide.edu.au/incoming/mkslab.c

> The main one I have is that my DOS partition on the machine I could do
> any testing on has been running Win95 for several months.  The defragger
> un DOS 6.x and above is the Norton defragger, and I haven't been too
> anxious to find out how they mark the clusters in the Windows swap file
> on Win95 so that the defragger doesn't try to relocate them.  Probably
> the same way Windows 3.11 and the Norton code works.

AFAIK, the file is marked system/readonly/hidden, and thus won't be touched
by most defraggers.  I used the same approach with the FREEBSD.IMG file.

> As it is, I have blocks that can't be modes all over the disk, and
> without some type of knowledge here, I couldn't defrag the disk and get
> a large contiguous area, which seems to be needed.

For testing, 1M is all you need to verify that it works.

> The vnode pager is not really what we want to deal with.

Capiche; I should have been clearer - I meant vn driver, a la vn0...

> What we are interested in is a sector offset and length on the physical
> device being exported as a device to the /dev namespace.  This is different
> from the vnconfig stuff (which is also useful) in that it means you don't
> go through a file system to get at the device, so you don't suffer the
> problems that a UMSDOS partition would face in terms of block size, etc.

This is spot on; however for it to be useful, it has to happen in the
kernel at startup, rather than later on in a userspace utility.

> As things currently sit, I wouldn't want to go off half-cocked on yet
> another diskslice code revision to get "slab" device support, and I
> wouldn't want any design to neglect the current diskslice and install
> issues that haven't been addressed (logical DOS partitions, immutable
> bit so Windows doesn't "defrag" the file", verifying contiguity, etc.).

Relevant, relevant, relevant.  Any comments on "safety" issues are
most welcome.

> 					Terry Lambert

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[