Date:      Wed, 15 May 2002 10:58:58 -0700
From:      Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu>
To:        Chris Pepper <pepper@reppep.com>
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: conf/38096: Typos in /etc/make.conf

On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 07:20:07AM -0700, Chris Pepper wrote:

>  >a comma doesn't come after "i.e." ...  does it?
>
>  	i.e. == for example, so I read it as "(for example, rather than" ...

Aaaagh!  i.e. != for example

From Fowler's Modern English Usage, 3d ed.:

2. i.e. means 'that is to say', and introduces another way . . . of
putting what has already been said.  It does not introduce an illustrative
example, for which e.g. is the proper formula.

. . .

4. By its nature it is preceded by a mark of punctuation, usu. a comma.
It is not normally followed by a comma unless that sense requires one,
as when a parenthesis immediately follows . . .

--
Matthew Hunt <mph@astro.caltech.edu> * UNIX is a lever for the
http://www.pobox.com/~mph/           * intellect. -J.R. Mashey