Date:      Sun, 3 May 1998 21:24:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "David E. Cross" <dec@phoenix.its.rpi.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Network problem with 2.2.6-STABLE

I was doing a network backup of my machine with the following command
earlier today:

dump 0uf - /home | nc backuphost backupport

(and on the backup server, a solaris 2.5.1 machine)

nc -l -p backupport >/path/client.home.980503.dump

all was going fine until about 75% of the way through the transfer when an
intermediate router went down, at this point I started to notice some
pecularities on my FreeBSD 2.2.6-stable machine (-stable from 5-1-98).  I
could not even ping machines on my local network, it would givean error
similar to (sorry I I did not write it down): "ping: no network buffers
available", any  telnet requet, etc would just hang indefinititely, the
offending dump and nc programs finally died, but I was still unable to do
anything until after a reboot of my machine.  What happened here?

---
David Cross