Date:      Thu, 12 Sep 1996 22:50:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        ponds!freebsd.org!freebsd-hackers
Subject:   Back from the hurricane, and into the PnP storm...

Well - I've finally got the power back on, and the machines rebooted :-)
It was really something over here in Raleigh, NC.

Anyway, I took this opportunity to replace an old 486 with a new
PCI pentium-133 (Triton II-VX chip set, not the fastest, but hey...)

Now - I've got an interesting plug-and-play problem.

If I tell the BIOS (Award, PnP support version 1.0A dated 1996) it
has no DRQs or IRQs it can assign to PnP/PCI devices,
everything _except_ the Sound-Blaster PNP card I have will
work.

If I tell the BIOS it has any DRQs - the old ne2000 I have (not PnP)
quits working... something weird there.

Also, I should add, this is 2.1.5-RELEASE, with the PnP patches
that were applicable to 2.1.

What I assumed would happen is that the BIOS should give-up
on assigning any values to the PnP sound card, then FreeBSD should
pick up the pieces here... apparently, that's not what's going on.

Also, I'm running a Trident 9680 PCI video card - could it be
conflicting somehow? [I'm using the XFree86 'G' beta...]

	- Dave Rivers -