Date:      Sat, 04 Jan 2003 22:44:28 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Erik_Ran=E0?= <erikrana@hem.passagen.se>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Stability

Just donīt know where to answer..
But i realised why .net server ask the user why to shutdown.
http://infocenter.cramsession.com/techlibrary/gethtml.asp?ID=1650

Why?
It is easy to explain to the boss in monthly reports why the server has
been down or
rebooted. ;)
It would be nice if FreeBSD also asks about why it should reboot or
shutdown.
Is there some project that can do that in FreeBSD?

The raw uptime that alot of people are so impressed about does not
intrerest me at all.
The definition uptime is equal hard to define as the word broadband.
Maybe the uptime utility
should display raw uptime when it prints the result?

I prefeer good uptime, uptime that are safe, secure and trouble free.
Bad uptime is the time between i get aware of a problem and the time
until a fix is inplace.
Bad downtime is kernel panic,power failure or otherwise the FreeBSD is
down or inaccessible when i have not asked for that.

/Erik Ranā