Date:      Wed, 12 Sep 2001 05:08:44 +0200
From:      Piet Delport <siberiyan@mweb.co.za>
To:        pascal <scalpa@freesurf.fr>
Cc:        Scott Corey <scott@bsdprophet.org>, Nathan Mace <nmace85@yahoo.com>, freebsd newbies <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: cvsuping stable source

--gBBFr7Ir9EOA20Yy

On Wed, 12 Sep 2001 at 22:29:48 +0200, pascal wrote:
> On Monday 10 September 2001 23:41, Scott Corey wrote:
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.html
>=20
> I'm really starting with freebsd (2 weeks) and i thought you could
> help me understand the following about cvsup, which i just installed
> and updated my ports with. So far so good.
>=20
> My question is about the sources and the manual is not very clear
> about : what happens after the cvsup job? Do i have to recompile
> something to switch to the new system or is it automatic?

It's all explained in here:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/makeworld.html

In fact, you'll probably find this entire chapter useful:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cutting-edge.html

In short though, yes, you'll have to recompile something. (Everything,
in fact :-)  CVSup's role is limited to downloading the source tree that
you'll end up compiling and installing.

Generally speaking, the whole upgrade process works like this:

1. Download a local copy of the source tree you want to upgrade to.
   (This is what cvsup does.)

2. After optionally editing /etc/make.conf to suit your tastes, compile
   everything:

# make buildworld
# make KERNCONF=3DYOURCONF buildkernel

3. If all goes well, drop into single-user mode and install everything
   you've just built:

# make installworld
# make KERNCONF=3DYOURCONF installkernel

4. Reboot. :-)

The links mentioned above explain the process in much greater detail.

> Can I backtrack in case of trouble?

Assuming the trouble isn't too severe (read: you can still boot and do
some stuff), you can always re-cvsup to any older version of the source,
and build everything again, though preferably you should have backups
ready if you're worried about potential trouble.

> I'm running 4.3 (release) right now, i'd prefer not having to
> reinstall it :-) Will cvsup allow me to switch to the upcoming 4.4?

If you cvsup to RELENG_4 (i.e. -STABLE) before building everything,
you'll already be running what just about is 4.4 already.

HTH,

--=20
Piet Delport <siberiyan@mweb.co.za>
Today's subliminal thought is: