Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 13:24:25 -0700
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        Aaron Bush <abush@microcenter.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to customize ports?

Aaron Bush wrote:

> I am looking for the correct/propper way to customize a port (ie. change
> prefix path, etc.).

Wow! What a lot of work you are putting yourself through! Go read the
FAQ and the relevant sections. There's a lot of information there.

Basically, to change the default prefix, I do "PREFIX=/usr/foo make
install". This is just one example. For more involved "customizations",
you can build in stages (make fetch, make extract, make configure, etc).
I've also changed the port's Makefile to send it my configure arguments.

David