Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 1996 15:59:12 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jhs@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        p.richards@elsevier.co.uk, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: tcl -- what's going on here.

> To current@FreeBSD.org
>
> Reference:
> > From: Paul Richards <p.richards@elsevier.co.uk>
> >
> > Unfortunately, it's a fact of life in FreeBSD these days that certain
> > people in core consider FreeBSD to be theirs and don't see any need to
> > discuss issues with the project as a whole or even other core members
> > because it just gets in their way.
>
> 	It's time we had FreeBSD Annual Election Of Officials.
>
> An increasingly autocratic attitude is noticeable,  as is a tendency
> to weigh proposals more by personalities & less by technicalities :-(
>
> Periodic elections could restrain the autocractic tendency.
> New, fresh, & rotated officials would invigorate the project.

[ ... ]

1)	Jordan's relationship with "The FreeBSD Project Inc." is
	invariant, as is the relationship of other real corporate
	officers in that incorporated entity.

2)	Jordan's relationship with Walnut Creek CDROM is invariant,
	since part of the donated support by WC CDROM is support
	(*generous* support) of a full time release engineer.

This is the current situation, and it should remain so for the
forseeable future.  There is value in the incorporation seperate
from the project, and there is value in Jordan's position in the
project vis-a-vis the projects continuing affirmation of the
relationship to Walnut Creek CDROM.

Within the context of the project itself, you could argue for some
structural changes, but before you do so, it would be wise to ensure
that the allowable range of decisions can not adversely impact either
of (1) or (2) above.

It would be wise to establish ground rules for what is or isn't
sacrosanct before calling for grass-roots support of a general idea
which could turn out to have unforseen and undesirable consequences.

I do not necessarily support the "status quo".  I think that more
than a year has gone by since the Lite2 release, and it has not
yet been fully integrated (that I haven't been as zealous in the
debugging of Jeffrey Hsu's fine work in this regard as I might have
is definitely a red flag for me, personally)... this, and other
similar things may in fact be deplorable (or not, depending on
your point of view and schedule of values).

Regardless of my personal opinions, I would advise great caution
if you chooe to go down this path, as it is fraught with peril.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---