Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 1996 16:56:00 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        gclarkii@main.gbdata.com (Gary Clark II)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, phk@critter.tfs.com, brians@mandor.dev.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IP bugs in FreeBSD 2.1.5

> Terry Lambert wrote:
> > > If people who use FreeBSD in a commercial setting paid 2% of what it
> > > would have cost them to do the same with shrink-wrapped software,
> > > and private users paid 1% to the FreeBSD Projects funds, then I would
> > > be much more inclined to listen to them and help them.
> >
> > $39.95 (the price of a FreeBSD CDROM) is 5 times the 2% figure you
> > cite for most OS's, and twice the figure you cite for BSDI:
>
> This is only from Wallnut Creek.  You can find them alot cheaper than
> that around.

OK, then take 4%-10% and convert it to 2%-5% for $19.95, and for the
business user, you still hit your 2% threshold with room to spare.

> > SCO
> > 	$400/$40 = 10
> > 	1/10 = 10%
> Is this the FULL package?

Yes.

> Development also?

Yes.  GNU tools, just like FreeBSD.

> Unlimted user?

Yes... as "unlimited" as SVR4 gets...

> Networking?

Yes.

> > BSDI
> > 	$1000/$40 = 25
> > 	1/25 = 4%
> How much is the BSDI source license up to now?

Who cares; we are talking about users who don't hack the kernel.

> How much is a unlimted user license?

$1000, last time I checked.

> NOTE: Please tell me if BSDI has went back to $1000 source and unlimted user,
>       I've got a customer running 2.1 I love to have source for.

Clearly you are a candidate for "FreeBSD SNAP tester", with your
preoccupation with compiling things...  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.