Date:      Thu, 10 Jul 1997 12:25:00 -0700
From:      John Scharles <johns@cruz.isle.net>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   disk Hard Error

On powering up our FreeBSD 2.1.6 this morning we were greeted with a "hard
error reading block such&such" message. This is a Dell machine with a built
in IDE controller.

After looking through the handbook and archives I haven't found much
information about trying to recover files off a dying drive (it has the
/usr directory, which of course has some files that are nowhere else!). Is
there way I can look at or force a mount?

Also I saw some reference to a full drive causing this type of
error...could this be the cause of a hard error?

Thanks

John