Date:      Thu, 16 Jul 1998 00:44:49 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
To:        Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>, Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com>, newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Don't log onto current.freebsd.org...

On Wed, Jul 15, 1998 at 02:27:27AM -0700, Tim Gerchmez wrote:
> I'll take you up on that offer.  Over the next couple weeks I'm going to
> read the FAQ and handbook VERY carefully, find out which sections need
> beefed up or are "under construction" that I think I could contribute to,
> and will write some documentation if I find anything.  You *will* have to
> convert to SGML for me... let me know which you would prefer, plain ASCII
> text (DOS format, not Unix) or MS Word 95 (= Word 6 AFAIK) format.

Plain text, submitted using the send-pr program so that it can be properly
tracked.

Please see <URL:http://www.freebsd.org/docproj/submitting.html>; which
outlines the preferred way for people to do this.

> I could even contribute in straight HTML if it would be easier for you
> to re-markup the material that way

Not really, but thanks for the sentiment.

> (I know SGML is a superset of HTML).

Nope. Should anyone be interested in the technical difference, mail me
and I'll be happy to go through it.

> I might also consider writing an "Absolute beginner's guide to installing
> FreeBSD" for those coming from the DOS/Windoze world who are used to
> handholding, detailing my experiences, what kind of gotchas I've found are
> in SYSINSTALL, etc).  What do you think of that idea?

Excellent. I think there might be something like that already,
<URL:http://www.vmunix.com/>; is ringing faint bells. If not (or you want
to improve it) then go for it.

It's probably worth your while subscribing to the -doc mailing list,
if only because Donald and myself can't answer every question or
comment, and you'll increase the chances of getting useful feedback
if you post there.

Of course, when you have documentation that you think is newbie orientated
you should definitely post pointers to it here so that other people can
look it and make suggestions and comments.

See you on -doc.

Work: nik@iii.co.uk                       | FreeBSD + Perl + Apache
Rest: nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk    | Remind me again why we need
Play: nik@freebsd.org                     | Microsoft?