Date:      Tue, 15 Dec 1998 23:13:29 -0500
From:      Dan Swartzendruber <dswartz@druber.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RAID solutions?

What are folks using for RAID for 2.2.x systems for news servers?  I'm
currently running a 2.2.7 box.  A P300 with 512MB RAM.  11 2GB UW drives on
2 2940 controllers.  8 of the drives are striped with CCD.  One for spool,
one for INN db files and one for OS use.  It had been okay for most of this
year, but the amount of binary garbage has gotten to the point where we
can't keep articles for but a couple of days max.  Management wants to do
whatever will make this issue go away.  I told them that meant at least
90GB of news spool.  Their reply was "Okay, whatever.  What HW do you want
us to get?"  I've been thinking of vinum (possibly the RAID5 variant).  I
had been shying away from hardware based solutions, due to cost.  One
concern I had about a SW solution:  most likely we would be adding 8 9GB
drives, to make a total of 88GB of spool.  The question is: this makes
about 20 drives.  Will FreeBSD handle this?  Does anyone here have any
experience that this level of disk-farm?