Date:      Mon, 5 Nov 2001 13:08:44 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        <advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>, <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: NatWest? no thanks

Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com> types:
> >> 3) Even if there was a US Supreme Court ruling that mandated ADA for
> >> commercial
> >> websites, how would it apply if the website content was not about something
> >> that a blind person can use.
> >
> >If a blind person were acting in some capacity for a a sighted person
> >- i.e., considering buying a gift, or researching options or some such
> >thing.
> >

> Hmmm... but how would a blind person research which porno site had the
> better pictures?  Or how would a blind person select a modern art
> painting for a gift?

By the description that would be attached to the image(s) in a
properly designed site.

> >You know they really do put braille on the buttons in the
> >drive-through ATMs.
> :-)  Yeah, I've heard that joke before too, but actually since the
> same people make the ATM's that are used both as walk-up and as
> drive-through, your going to see that because it's cheaper to only
> make one kind of button and use it in both types.

The ones in CA were clearly added after the ATM was installed.  The
real reason is that the person in the car using the ATM doesn't have
to be the driver.

> The ones that I can't figure out are the elevators in parking garages.
> Unlike ATM's, elevator buttons aren't standard even within the same
> manufacturer so the ATM reason doesen't apply there.

Again, the person using the elevator button doesn't have to be the
person who drove the car.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.