Date:      Wed, 24 Apr 2002 09:55:58 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1020092159.9a8450@mired.org>
To:        Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>, stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: mergemaster theory (was: Re: /etc/defaults/rc.conf theory)

In <20020423222117.U66402-100000@master.gorean.org>, Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org> typed:
> On Tue, 23 Apr 2002, Philip J. Koenig wrote:
> > Yes, but the problem I usually have is twofold: I usually run
> > mergemaster in single-user mode,
> 	You don't have to do that. Nothing you install in /etc (except
> hosts.allow) affects a running system.... I usually mergemaster in X. :)

While I agree that you dno't have to do that, there are *other* things
you have to worry about. Like /etc/resolv.conf and
/etc/mail/mailer.conf. Like /etc/hosts.allow, these are things that if
you've changed, you need to make sure the changes propagate to the new
version.

I also run mergemaster single-user. It's not because I'm worried about
changes, it's because I just installed the world in single-user mode,
and want to make sure that the new configuration stuff is in place and
working properly for that world. The only way to do the latter is to
reboot, so I do the mergemaster in single-user mode as well.

> > and as such if I run into some kind of difficulty (not sure whether to
> > install/merge/delete) and want to do something like take a detailed look
> > at or backup a file first, I can't switch to another console to look
> > at/change things.
> 	Well, the default option is to do nothing, which will leave the
> file for you to look at later. It may cost you more rebooting, but at
> least you can deal with it at your convenience.

Personally, I just Control-Z out of mergemaster for most such
things. Every so often I do leave it and run mergemaster again. That
doesn't require another reboot - I just do it immediately.

	<mike