Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 95 14:35:25 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        nate@trout.sri.MT.net (Nate Williams)
Cc:        kargl@troutmask.apl.washington.edu, freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: new install(1) utility

> > Hmmm... this could produce a decent timesavings.
>
> Yes, this would in effect do the same thing as the -t option you have
> now and save a tremendous amount of re-linking of files since the
> timestamps would not change.

Bah humbug.

The problem is improper dependency graphs in the makefile.

And jamming make-like dependency capability into install is a
cockamamy way to fix it.

Much better (if one must hack on install) to cause intermediately
created directories when installing a target to be owned by the
specified user and group instead of being owned by the installer
(hint: this would fix a number of X install problems).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.