Date:      Sat, 18 May 1996 12:26:33 -0700
From:      Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com>
To:        "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Suggestion: Mention difference to Linux and Netbsd

"Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Doing anything (even ``objective'' comparisons) like this in
> documentation from the Project will lead to bad feelings between us
> and the other 2 ``camps'', as what we see as ``objective'', they could
> VERY easily take as an insult.

Not to mention the fact that given the dynamic nature of the development
efforts, as soon as you publish something it WILL be out of date (or
incomplete at a minimum)...leading to further misconceptions, bad will, or
whatever.

The way I find out about them is to monitor mailing lists and newsgroups
for things relevant to what I want to do.  So, maybe what SHOULD be
published is a list of pointers to sources of information on the various
subjects.  For example,

    If you want to find out more about the Linux, checkout
    comp.os.linux.whatever, the mailing lists at xxx.yyy.edu and
    http://sunsite.unc.edu.

    For FreeBSD, checkout comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.whatever, the mailing
    lists at majordomo@freebsd.org and http://www.freebsd.org.

    ...etc...

And MAYBE include some real basic overview ("...they are all Unix style
operating systems...") information.

Scott Blachowicz  Ph: 206/283-8802x240   Mathsoft (Data Analysis Products Div)
                                         1700 Westlake Ave N #500
scott@statsci.com                        Seattle, WA USA   98109
Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org