Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 2000 03:00:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: misc/18641: FreeBSD V4.0 crashes when using ifconfig on le0 (DE203AB) device

The following reply was made to PR misc/18641; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To: browser <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 11:51:17 +0200

 On Sat, 26 Aug 2000 08:00:05 MST, browser wrote:

 >  Similar panic also while attempting to install 4.0R (CD with
 >  several remakes of floppy boot disks) to a 486 that ran 3.3R
 >  very well both before and after the failed 4.0 install. (This
 >  was a fresh install each time, not an upgrade.)
 >
 >  Feel free to contact sue@welearn.com.au for kernel trace
 >  if you can offer a teensy bit of help to identify the
 >  required info.

 Thanks for the offer.

 You'll need to test this using a kernel compiled with debugging support.
 There are instructions for providing a backtrace at:

 	http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/kerneldebug.html

 However, I'm not optimistic about finding someone to look into this for
 you.  The le(4) driver doesn't seem to have a maintainer.  Once you have
 a backtrace, we'll see whether the author of the driver (Matt Thomas)
 can take a look, but I'm not sure that his last known e-mail address is
 still valid.

 Ciao,
 Sheldon.