Date:      Mon, 14 Oct 1996 01:53:31 +0400 (MSD)
From:      "=?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?=" (Andrey A. Chernov) <ache@nagual.ru>
To:        pst@shockwave.com (Paul Traina)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: need mh users with non-latin character sets to test MH patches...

> Thanks, I got it working last night (hence the commits to MH).
> It's very cool, your name now shows up in Cyrlic instead of taking up
> the entire line in nonsense.

Elm is able to do it too, just set its default screen font to KOI8-R

> Unfortunately, it looks like cut-and-paste in my xterm is not 8 bit clean,
> as I just tried to cut and paste and it came back with:
>
> From:       "aNDREJ ~ERNOW" (Andrey A. Chernov) <ache@nagual.ru>
>
> Hmmm... next step is to fix xterm or X11. :-)

You not mention X11 and it is different story.
It isn't xterm problem, but missing X11 locale.
You can Russify X11 too, see /usr/ports/russian/X.language
After installing this port just remove default Xmodmap
and move Russian fonts to last position in your /etc/XF86Config
and it not affect your default ISO8859-1 setup.

--
Andrey A. Chernov
<ache@nagual.ru>