Date:      Thu, 02 Jul 1998 10:33:08 -0400
From:      "Matthew R. Briggs" <mbriggs@switchboard.net>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SMP Problems Update

Hello,
	Some time ago I wrote about severe difficulties I was having running
FreeBSD-CURRENT on a dual P2-333 system.  The system was extremely
unstable, and it was possible to wedge it quite easily with a parallel
make of a port with many dependencies or a make world.
	Last night I wiped my FreeBSD partition and reinstalled with the SNAP
from 6/27.  I had previously installed on 5/27, and had built the world
a couple times since then.  I had also compiled new SMP kernels on
almost a daily basis.  I don't know what changed, but with the new SNAP,
a quick cvsup, and an SMP kernel compilation using a config file I
carried over, the system seems to work fine.
	I have been trying very hard to crash it, sitting on pins and needles
saying to myself, "it's going to fall over any second now," as I watched
compilation messages scroll by, but it hasn't yet.  I've been pushing it
very hard, and it continues to impress me.
	I only recently subscribed to the src/sys cvs mailing list, so I don't
know what may have changed, but whoever did it, thanks.  I can now start
using FreeBSD in a serious way, and maybe even contribute myself.

Matt Briggs
mbriggs@switchboard.net