Date:      Thu, 18 Mar 1999 08:06:12 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@iafrica.com>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Serve working hardware first (was Define MAXMEM in GENERIC)

On Thu, 18 Mar 1999 02:47:10 +0900, "Daniel C. Sobral" wrote:

> Hear! Hear! It's not the people with *working* hardware that should
> get the short end!

Hi Daniel,

That's certainly a reasonable statement. I agree with you, for whatever
that's worth.

However, my impression has always been that the priority in GENERIC is
to make sure as many people as possible can boot FreeBSD. The only case
I can think of right now that supports this impression is the disabled
probe for 32 bit multi-sector transfers in the IDE driver.

Do we have a fixed goal with GENERIC, or have things fuzzied out over
the years?

Ciao,
Sheldon.

[Reply Subjects should not include the (was Define MAXMEM in GENERIC) ]