Date:      Wed, 27 Oct 2004 09:57:04 -0600
From:      Danny MacMillan <flowers@users.sourceforge.net>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Serious investigations into UNIX and Windows

On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 02:24:04AM -0600, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> You take any inexperienced Windows 'administrator' (and I use the
> term loosely) block diagram out your network, give him a bank check
> and tell him to go duplicate it.  You wouldn't see more than 2% of them
> be able to do it.  So much for Windows being 'easy'  It's only easy
> if you know what your doing.  But, then again, so is UNIX.
>
> Ted

I agree.

Microsoft concentrates on accessibility, reducing the apparent
complexity until it can be readily (or at least much more easily)
grasped by people who would be otherwise unable or unwilling to
do so.  They excel at lowering the entry-level requirements for
performing computing tasks.  Hence Visual Basic, Windows Server
2003, Exchange Server, &c.

These programs are very discoverable.  You don't need to have a
good understanding of what you're doing in order to get them to
work -- the program itself provides sufficient hinting through
the user interface to guide you through the process.  Suddenly
ANYONE can be a programmer or system administrator!

The problem is, =only= the entry level requirements are reduced.
Or, rather, Microsoft enables you to deal with the complexity
gradually instead of all at once.  It's a great approach for a
world where people hate reading the instructions on how to put
together their barbeque.  Unix is more the other way; if you
don't understand what you're doing before you begin you are going
to be doing a lot of reading.  You SHOULD do the reading on the
MS side, too; you just don't have to.

I don't disdain the Microsoft pointy-clicky approach.  It is
easier to use because it provides psychological tools to help
manage complexity.  However, when things don't work you still
have to do the learning you were able to defer at the beginning.

I'd say if all you ever need is the first 80%, less skill is
required on the Windows side than the Unix side because
Microsoft has made an effort to make that 80% accessible.
After that you'll need someone equally skilled as on the
Unix side.  The problem is, most people on the MS side who
are at the 80% mark have 20% of the "required" knowledge
(the rest being embedded in the tools).  Everyone on the
Unix side at 80% had to absorb 80% of the knowledge to
get there.  So when you need the next 5%, you're more likely
to find competent help in the Unix world (at least that's
been my experience).

--
Danny