Date:      Thu, 05 Dec 2002 12:37:47 +1100
From:      Mark.Andrews@isc.org
To:        Stanley Hopcroft <Stanley.Hopcroft@ipaustralia.gov.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Anyone had any problems with BIND-9 forwarding queries through PIX devices ?

> Dear Sir or Madam,
>
> We have been using the ports version of BIND 9 on 4.7-RELEASE (and
> 4.6-RELEASE before) without any problems.
>
> Recently however, forwarded queries to our provider frequently take ~ 12
> seconds to resolve (for names such as www.Yahoo.COM, that should be
> cached).
>
> (packet traces show 4 A queries and then the response belatedly).
>
> We became aware through the same symptoms that PIX firewalls (with
> recent firmware) do not handle source port 53 queries very well.
>
> Is anyone aware of any problems with BIND 9.21 as far as forwarding
> goes, especially with PIX ?
>
> We have been forced to downgrade to the release version of BIND-8; this
> seems to perform better.

	It's a issue with any server that supports EDNS (BIND 8 and
	BIND 9 both support EDNS).   CISCO have been aware of this
	for a long time.  I've heard a rumour that CISCO have
	actually fixed this.  I suggest that you contact the CISCO
	TAC.   At least you will then be informed when they have a
	fix, if not be told what the fix is.

	Mark

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews@isc.org