Date:      Fri, 15 Mar 2002 07:28:39 -0600 (CST)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@cox.net>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   audio burps under X

Wondering if anyone else is having the same problems I've been having for a
while now.

Running the latest X port under a very recent -stable, with the S3 Savage
driver (S3 Savage 4).

Under X, if I'm playing any sort of audio file, and try scrolling some text
in a window, or even have an app running in an xterm that's producing a lot
of output, I get a lot of very annoying interference with the audio.  If I
drag a scroll button up and down, the audio slows down and becomes horribly
mutilated.

I'm not sure what's causing this, if it's X, or the pcm driver.  I never
used to experience this.  Audio used to play very smoothly, even under
moderate to heavy loads.  Now it seems like certain X events are generating
an interrupt that's causing the pcm driver to temporarily be blocked.

$ uname -a
FreeBSD dolphin.idleplay.net 4.5-STABLE FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE #0: Thu Mar 14
16:11:05 CST 2002
root@dolphin.idleplay.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MYKERNEL  i386

$ cat /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm) Mar 14 2002 16:10:36
Installed devices:
pcm0: <AudioPCI ES1373-8> at io 0x1000 irq 11 (1p/1r/0v channels duplex)
                ^^^^^^^^
Odd, I just noticed this.  Used to say "ES1371", if I remember correctly.

I'll gladly provide any further info if anyone is interested.

Thanks.

--
Conrad Sabatier <conrads@cox.net>

Ambidextrous, adj.:
        Able to pick with equal skill a right-hand pocket or a left.