Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 2000 21:14:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Thomas D. Dean" <tomdean@ix.netcom.com>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Upgrade 3.4 -> 5.0 -current Success

I just upgraded a 3.4 system from the Jan. 2000 CD to 5.0 -current.

I used the 3.4 CD as an installation vehicle to get -current on a new
disk, cleaning the tree in the process.  I removed about 100MB that
had accumulated over three years tracking -current.  I had an
existing -current system, and was installing a larger disk.

I installed the 3.4 normal user, bin and docs on the new disk.  I
copied /etc, /usr/src and /usr/ports from the old -current disk.  I
did a make world to upgrade to -current.

'make world' had two problems.  The buildworld phase completed
successfully.  There were two problems in the install phase.

  1.  install-info.  The 3.4 version of install-info does not support
      the newest version of the flags, it wants -section, not
      -dsection.  I copied the version in
      /usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/bin to /usr/bin and this problem was
      solved.  Can 'make install' use
      /usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/bin/install-info?

  2.  sh is installed and then is used in later in the installation
      process.  The number of syscalls changed, so the new version of
      sh core dumps.  I copied a 5.0-current kernel from another disk,
      rebooted, and install completed without error.  Can make copy
      or link the existing version of sh to tools and use that during
      the install?

Good work on the make/install process.

tomdean