Date:      Wed, 3 Apr 2002 20:19:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Coutts <jcoutts6@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/36718: install boot before sysinstall halts ata1: resetting devices..

>Number:         36718
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       install boot before sysinstall halts ata1: resetting devices..
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
When installing from a CD goes through kernel config.  these are the last few lines I get before machine freezes:

ata1-slave: identify retires exceeded
ad0: 19574MB WDC (hard drive model) ATA66
(null): mode_sense_big command timeout - reset
ata1: resetting devices..

this is where the system hangs

I am running an AMD XP1700 on an ASUS A7V266  I have two drives, my primary master is my hard disk and my secondary master is my CDROM.  I have no primary or secondar slave, which it seems that is what is being looked for.
>How-To-Repeat:
      Boot setup from CD, skip kernel config and allow to run.  will freeze during device detection.