Date:      Thu, 28 Aug 2008 10:50:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      up@3.am
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Urgent: older server disk failed, need mirror replacement

Hi:

Sorry for the hectic nature of this, but I just got a kernel notification
(and confirmed using aaccli's disk list) that one of my RAID level 1 disks
on one of my servers has died.   The problem is, I'm not entirely sure
exactly what replacement I should be ordering.  Is there a command line
utility that gives you the manufacturer's info (model no, part no) of the
disk itself?  I looked at some of the disk utilities in
ports/systutilities and I'm not seeing anything.  Here is what I think I
know:

IMB/Hitachi 72GB or 73GB 10k or 15k RPM U320 SCSI

I built this server 3 or 4 years ago...the RAID adapter is a low profile
Adaptec U320 RAID using the aac driver.  Are the newer, SAS drives
downward compatible with U320 adapters?  Is it ok to mix and match, as
long as the drives are close in storage capacity?  What about mix and
matching 10k and 15k rpm?

Thanks in Advance!

up@3.am							    http://3.am