Date:      Mon, 21 Oct 2002 19:57:03 -0400
From:      Randy Pratt <rpratt1950@earthlink.net>
To:        "leegold" <leegold@fastmail.fm>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fbsd 4.7 - where is XF86Setup ?

leegold wrote:
> I definitely confirmed it. No XF86Setup in X 4.2.0.
> In my opinion, this is a gigantic blunder. And it hurts the
> average user the most. The most time saving config tool is gone!
> XF86Setup has saved people LOTS of time.
>
> I'm just amazed at this whole thing.

Have you tried using the xf86config tool as described in the Handbook
Installation section (2.9.11 Configure X Server)?  It will generally
produce a useable XF86Config file that can be used without modification.

The XF86Setup was easy to use, but apparently the XFree86 project has
decided to discontinue its use so we have to use the tools provided.
This isn't unique to FreeBSD and any OS employing recent versions of
XFree86 will be the same.

Hope this helps a bit.

Randy