Date:      Wed, 20 May 1998 22:08:43 +0930
From:      Matthew Thyer <thyerm@camtech.net.au>
To:        tarkhil@asteroid.svib.ru
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Softupdates: what am I doing wrong?

Two things come to mind:

1) Did you reboot to multiuser after enabling softupdates ?
      - Sorry but I had to ask!
2) Were you trying to enable softupdates on the root filesystem ?
      - I'm not sure if this can be done yet.
        Hopefully Julian will comment as I'd like to be able
        to do this.

Alex Povolotsky wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I've CVSuped the current sources, made world, enabled SOFTUPDATES in kernel,
> fetched softupdates files, rebuild kernel (and reinstall), rebooted
> single-user, and enabled softupdates with tunefs.
>
> tunefs tells me that softupdates are enabled, but mount doesn't tell about
> them, and no speed increase :-(
>
> What could I do wrong?
>
> Alex.

|Work: Matthew.Thyer@dsto.defence.gov.au | Home: thyerm@camtech.net.au|
"If it is true that our Universe has a zero net value for all conserved
quantities, then it may simply be a fluctuation of the vacuum of some
larger space in which our Universe is imbedded. In answer to the
question of why it happened, I offer the modest proposal that our
Universe is simply one of those things which happen from time to time."
 E. P. Tryon   from "Nature" Vol.246 Dec.14, 1973