Date:      Tue, 18 Jul 2000 18:02:28 +0930 (CST)
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        "Joachim [Str_mbergson]" <watchman@ludd.luth.se>, Greg Lewis <glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Status of FreeBSD security work? Audit, regression and crypto swap?

Sheldon Hearn wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Jul 2000 23:49:39 +0200, Joachim =?iso-8859-1?Q?Str=F6mbergson?= wro
> te:
> > Greg Lewis wrote:
> > > I think the recent import of TCFS <http://tcfs.dia.unisa.it/>; into OpenBSD
> > > is also fairly interesting.
> >
> > Pretty kewl! Is anybody looking at trying it out for FreeBSD?
>
> Is it really cool?  I've always thought that crypted swap is a waste of
> time, given the fact that access to the swap device implies far more
> serious problems already.  Now that we have a reference to Niels' paper,
> though, we can see what his motivation for developing this was.

Hmmm, I think you've gotten off the track a bit :).  While Joachim's
initial comment was about encrypted swap, I was pointing out that TCFS
was also an interesting feature that had recently been added to OpenBSD.
Its a crytographic replacement for NFS.  There are patches for both
OpenBSD and NetBSD at the TCFS web site but not FreeBSD unfortunately.

> We should definitely not even consider this until we're sure it's
> useful.  I'd hate to introduce source just for the purposes of keeping
> our bullet list as long as OpenBSD's. :-)

This applies equally as well to TCFS :).  I think its worth investigating,
and plan to do so if I get time at one point :).

--
Greg Lewis 				glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au
Computing Officer			+61 8 8303 5083